The one thing I desperately needed was a fireplace makeover. It was really outdated looking with a awful green marble and (fake) brass surround with a delightfully retro (and not in a good way) oak wood mantel. I thought about it for a long time but didn’t really know how to go about it. After several years of staring at the hideousness, I finally just said, I’m going to do it. I also had to rearrange everything around the fireplace and for that matter….the whole house.
NOTE: Many of my “before” photos here are really just photos of my youngest kids with the fireplace where the original fireplace and fireplace area just happened to be in the background.
Here are the Before Photos:
My oldest daughter- fireplace in background with my son crawling in front of it. This one is before the yellow walls. Notice the fireplace: wood mantle, outdated green marble and tacky brass surround.
Before-My son jumping off the couch- fireplace in background. We also have this thing of thousands of toys all over the place! : )
Before- My youngest daughter- fireplace in the background. Notice again: wood mantle, outdated green marble and tacky brass surround.
Before- Sweet baby & see the fireplace again in the background. To the right we had this mammoth entertainment center that really needed to go. The walls were really yellow.
Before-Fireplace in background. After the entertainment center went away, we put a flat screen tv above the fireplace and cabinets with shelves on either side of the fireplace.
Here are the During Photos:
You can see the whole fireplace setup in the background here. This is after we changed a lot of things. It looked much better than it used to but I still didn’t like how dark and crowded everything looked.
So I removed the shelves on either side and painted the fireplace wood surround white. I also painted the brass black.
We removed the flat screen tv from above the fireplace mantel because I didn’t want the tv to be the focus of the room.
I painted the wall behind the fireplace lighter to brighten the room up.
Tile samples on the floor in front of the fireplace. The one on the left has more browns and the one on the right has more blue. Hmmmmm.
Some tiling supplies.
Here are all of the supplies I needed:
Bucket for water
So with this tiling, this is a very simple break down of what I did:
1. Clean surface.2.Cut tile to fit. I could just cut this tile with scissors which is held together by a mesh.3. Apply adhesive with putty knife.4. Go over adhesive with notched trowel.5. Stick the tile on.6. Put tile spacers where needed.7. Let the tile sit for about 24 hours.8. Cover tile with grout with the Grout Float.(or I ended up using my hands for a lot of it)9. Let the grout sit for 1/2 hour and wipe down with sponge and water.10. Let the grout sit for another 1/2 hour and wipe off remaining grout with sponge and water.
AND Finally the fireplace is finished! (at least for now!)
Here are the After Photos: